Monday, August 9

Another long day of shopping

I have never been a big back to school shopper. I try to buy things the kids need throughout the year and then just a few new items for the school year. This year was different. It just happened that all 3 of my boys needed clothes, especially jeans to kick off the school year. Yesterday it was shoe shopping- not my favorite thing to do with the 4 of them and you will notice by my post title for yesterday that it did not go all that well. However, by the end of the day yesterday I did have multiple new shoes for all the kids and did not break the bank either. I found some clearance and sale items at Target. I am also accepting that with a teenager in the house I have to give a little and perhaps spend more on some of his clothing and shoe choices since he cares a lot more about style and making a good impression. I also think he dresses very well and respectable for a teenage boy and don't want to discourage this in any way :-).
So back to today... I loaded up the kids for day 2 of torture and we drove into Anchorage in hunt of pants and any other "can't pass up deals". At kohl's I found some great 80% off clearance items on summer clothes. I purchased new swim suits for the little boys and lots of shorts priced between $1.75 and $4.00. We also found a few nice shirts for my oldest son. One of my fun finds was Transformers were on clearance from 12.99 to $4 for the large ones and the small ones were only $2.50. I bought several for Christmas gifts and the kids didn't even notice ;-). I was also able to use a 20% off of all kids clothing coupon and a 15% all other items. I spent less than a $100 and had 4 large bags of clothes and toys when I left! We also made it over to Old Navy and I was able to buy jeans for $10 for the younger kids and $20 for my teenager. We also found a few clearance cargo pants for the older one- marked down to $12. So all in all I am very pleased with all that we were able to purchase today and more than anything, I am glad to be done with the shopping!! Bring on the first day of school...

2 comments:

Beth said...

Have any good deals on backpacks? I need to get a new one for my boy. I've been told that I should get Jansport because they will replace it if the zipper fails, which his ALWAYS do. I also picked up some shoes on clearance at Freddy's a while back for both kids.
I think my best deal by far though was going to Sears and signing up for the Kidvantage club. If you buy kids clothes and they wear out, you can bring them back and they will replace the clothing with the same item for free. I'm hoping this will save me money in the long run. Sonny Boy always rips out the knees, so this way I can just replace them!

Jill W. said...

Hey Beth- Jansports have worked great for us! My parents bought Alex a Jansport when he was in 1st grade and he will start 8th grade this year and I swear that backpack looks like new! I have bought him others over the years just to have a change of style or color but he always goes back to his original Jansport by the end of the year. In fact he told me he wants to use it through his senior year ;-). Now, here's the deal, IF you can wait a few weeks you should be able to get the Jansports for 25-75% off at Target- depending on how long you can wait. I purchased 3 for my nieces last year all at 75% off. I bought the little boys some cheapies just to get the year started but will be keeping my eye open for those Jansports deals too. I've been told that Payless has some of their backpacks as low as $4.00 and they are buy 1 get 1/2 off on a 2nd. Hope this helps! :-) In regards to the Sears deal, I have signed up but I have never actually used the program- I would love to hear how it works out. We did find jeans for $10 at Old Navy and thought that was a pretty good price. Marek is well stocked because he is brutal on the knees too LOL